Stephanie's books

Clockwork Angel
Eragon
City of Bones
Twilight
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Golden Compass
Night World, No. 2
Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever
Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn
The Iron Daughter
The Iron King
Nightshade
Divergent
A Discovery of Witches
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Hunger Games
The Host
City of Glass
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Stephanie's favorite books »

Wednesday 14 November 2012

Blood Red Road (Dustlands 1)

Blood Red Road (Dustlands 1)
by Moira Young
Rating: 4.5 /5

Summary:
Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when four cloaked horsemen capture Lugh, Saba's world is shattered, and she embarks on a quest to get him back. 

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the outside world, Saba discovers she is a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba’s unrelenting search for Lugh stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization. 

My Review:
  I don't know what it is about this cover but as soon as I saw it at the store I was drawn to it and I picked it up only to have it sit on the shelf at home for a while, Finally being given the chance when my monthly challenge called for books starting with B,K or T and it caught my eye all over again and I am glad it did. I would have given this a full 5 stars as the story was really fantastic but the writing style really threw me off, there were no quotation marks and the spelling was awful to prove I guess that the characters were in another place and time, it had me struggling at first but when the story took off I was able to overlook it and really enjoy the story.
 There were lots of great characters in this book. Saba strong and determined to find her brother is so reluctant to let anyone help her that she almost misses out on the great friends she finds in the free hawks and almost pushes Jack away, good thing no one including Emmi (Saba's sister) was willing to give up on her and all had a hand in helping her through the journey to find her brother.
  I thought I had the whole story figured out and then the Pinches arrived and everything changed. I thought the Collosseum was an awesome addition to the story it brought lots of excitement and struggle and well as new characters and new information. I was sad Saba and Emmi had to go through it but I think they both needed to be hardened a bit before going out on the road.
  The journey to freedom fields was very well done, a lot of obstacles to overcome and even enough time for Saba to realize Emmi isn't all  that bad and bring her and Jack closer together which I think was done very well. I can't mention Jack and Saba without saying the song that Jack sang to Saba was my favorite part of the whole book, it was funny and heartfelt at the same time and if he sang it to me I would be putty in his hands lol.
 I can't wait to see what adventures they will go on next. Overall fantastic story with terrible grammar.
Happy Reading Friends!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment