Stephanie's books

Clockwork Angel
Eragon
City of Bones
Twilight
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Golden Compass
Night World, No. 2
Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever
Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn
The Iron Daughter
The Iron King
Nightshade
Divergent
A Discovery of Witches
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Hunger Games
The Host
City of Glass
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Stephanie's favorite books »

Saturday 15 December 2012

Uglies (Uglies 1)

Uglies (Uglies 1)
by Scott Westerfeld
Rating: 4 /5
Goodreads Summary:
Tally Youngblood is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait for the operation that turns everyone from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to party. But new friend Shay would rather hoverboard to "the Smoke" and be free. Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The "Special Circumstances" authority Dr Cable offers Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever

My Review:
I am a big fan of dystopian books and I saw all the rave reviews form friends on Goodreads and I started this book with high expectations and I was not let down. I gave it 4 and not 5 stars because there were parts of it I found a bit predictable, that being said there still were a few surprises waiting for me....OMG the ending I did not see that coming!! I found myself deep in thought about the concept of this book and even told my sister the plot(she is not a reader so she let me spoil it) so that we could have a serious talk about everyone being "pretty" I just could not imagine myself thinking that this was okay, but then again I don't live in uglyville so I have not been conditioned to think this way, as unbelievable as I found it I also felt a bit like are we really that different? like I said I thought a lot about this while reading and even after.
I liked the dynamic of Shay and Tally they both enjoyed a good "trick" yet their vision for the future was so much different that it gave a nice overview of the two points of view on becoming "pretty". David was a great character so knowledgeable about life in the smoke yet so clueless about real city life besides what he has been told from others. I knew he would get to Tally eventually he had this quite assurance that you just couldn't help but trust , the slow simmer of their romance was so cute and I am rooting for them all the way .
Things picked right up for me after Maddy and Az explained their reasons for leaving the city, every page after that more exciting than the last. I have many books on the TBR list (don't we all) so Pretties may have to wait until the new year but ya never know it has been catching my eye on the shelf.
One of my favorite lines in the book was:
 "Your personality- the real you inside- was the price of beauty"
I went out and bought the rest of the series because of that line I love the message behind it and I can't wait to see what happens next.
If you like an exciting dystopian read then go out and pick this one up!
Happy Reading Friends!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment