Stephanie's books

Clockwork Angel
Eragon
City of Bones
Twilight
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Golden Compass
Night World, No. 2
Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever
Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn
The Iron Daughter
The Iron King
Nightshade
Divergent
A Discovery of Witches
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Hunger Games
The Host
City of Glass
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Stephanie's favorite books »

Monday 14 January 2013

Ordained (The Mortal Archives 1)

Ordained (The Mortal Archives 1) by Devon Ashley
Rating: 4/5

Goodreads Summary:
Normally, the school creates the hunters - not the monsters.

Abby Sorrensten likes to play rough. Ripping the horns off the foreheads of demons, manipulating lightning and setting things on fire with the flick of your wrist can give you a serious rush. So she probably wasn’t the best choice for the Order’s experimental training program. Thirteen years of isolation, lack of affection and a bruised and broken body from horrendous training sessions creates more than just an exceptional fighter. It creates an evil within - an evil responsible for several deaths the night she left.

Two hundred years later Abby resurfaces as the very thing the Order trained her to kill: a vampire. A mythical demon has set his sights on the school and only the ordained hunter has the powers to face it. Unbeknownst to the Order, Abby’s their precious ordained one and their only chance for survival. As much as she would love to leave them hanging, she’s not willing to risk the life of Emily, a fellow friend and hunter also fed up with the organization. 

But for Abby, locking herself away in a fortress with angry descendents of those she killed causes suspicions and tensions to run high. Abby must learn the demon’s weaknesses for battle before the Order learns hers.


My Review:
*May Contain Spoilers*
I came across this on my kobo, not sure when I got it which can be a problem with so many sitting there, anyway I decided it was time to give it a try and at first I was sucked in and very curious about what was next. The concept so cool and engaging, Emily a young hunter destined to die at the hands of the demon Eraticus like the other hunters before her is saved by Noel and Abby who have their own strange ties to the Order, they enter the hunter compound to try and save everyone from the new threat Morphus, and that is when things got a little overloaded  I mean Abby is a witch, Vampire and hunter destined to kill Morphus, then add in two clairvoyants and a crazy council as exciting as it seemed my head was spinning so when I was given the opportunity to participate in a read to review I put this one aside.....a few days later I started again and found myself plunging in and on the edge of my seat with excitement and a bit of mystery which was due in large part to the great way the different points of view were written, you got just enough information with small questions left over to keep me going.
I liked all the characters even with all their flaws it made them more human and relate able as they do unthinkable things like fighting demons and vampires. I liked how even in the face of constant danger they find a way to have "Normal" relationships.
The end was full of heartbreak, action and an epic battle that I thought about even after the book was over. The shocker at the end made me grateful I have book 2 already and when I can fit it in (LOL) I will read to see how they handle things and were they will go next.  

No comments:

Post a Comment