Stephanie's books

Clockwork Angel
Eragon
City of Bones
Twilight
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Golden Compass
Night World, No. 2
Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever
Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn
The Iron Daughter
The Iron King
Nightshade
Divergent
A Discovery of Witches
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Hunger Games
The Host
City of Glass
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Stephanie's favorite books »

Sunday 16 February 2014

Review- Ice Dogs by Terry Lynn Johnson


Title: Ice Dogs
Author: Terry Lynn Johnson
Rating: 5/5


Summary
Victoria Secord, a 14-year-old Alaskan dogsled racer, loses her way on a routine outing with her dogs. With food gone and temperatures dropping, her survival, and that of her dogs and the mysterious boy she meets in the woods, is entirely up to her.

Author Terry Lynn Johnson is a musher herself and her crackling writing puts readers at the reins as Victoria and Chris experience setbacks, mistakes, and small triumphs in their wilderness adventure. 

My Review

I won this book on Goodreads first reads, the beautiful cover drew me in and then after I read the synopsis I was really hoping I would win this one and get a chance to read what sounded to me like an exciting tale, and thank goodness I won cause this book was not just as good as I had expected...IT WAS BETTER!
I found I had an understanding of both Victoria and Chris, and for me that made things a lot more intense. I understood Victoria's love for her dogs and her willingness to put them first knowing they needed her, David on the other hand I understood because my love of dogs does not extend to the outdoors he was more of an indoor guy and that makes sense to me. I liked how their relationship grew and how they eventually used each other to stay alive. I was very invested in these two and I was on the edge of my seat anxious for their nightmare to be over, and with every small victory I did a little jump for joy (on the inside lol).
I loved the authors  knowledge of Dog sledding you tell could tell she has been out there, done things and bonded with a beautiful pack of dogs.  In a letter I received with my copy of the book I was told that some of these things had happened to Terry Lynn Johnson well what a brave soul she must be, I loved this  story but I do not feel the need to experience this first hand, the vivid writing was enough of an emotional ride for me and I will be satisfied with that.
There is so much more I want to say about this book but I really want people of the world to experience this wonderful, tragic, coming of age tale. I have to admit I cried a few times but that ending oh my did it get me so make sure you have the tissue close, if you have a heart that is.
Loved this book and I know many many others will too I have already got my sister hooked and many others are on the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment