Stephanie's books

Clockwork Angel
Eragon
City of Bones
Twilight
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Golden Compass
Night World, No. 2
Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever
Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn
The Iron Daughter
The Iron King
Nightshade
Divergent
A Discovery of Witches
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Hunger Games
The Host
City of Glass
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Stephanie's favorite books »

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Review- The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds 1)




Title: The Darkest Minds
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Series: The Darkest Minds book 1
Rating: 5/5






Summary
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government "rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that's killed most of America's children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she's on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her-East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can't risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.

My Review
Well I finally did it, I finally read this book and after hearing so many good things I am very glad that it was just as good as everyone said it was, I really enjoyed this book and I am really excited to continue on with this series. I want to share a quote from this book because for me this was the quote that pulled me in and made me hungry for more:
"The Government was never scared of the kids that might die, or the empty spaces they would leave behind. They were afraid of us- the ones who lived."
The plot of this book was fantastic, the idea of a child plague that turns the survivors into powerful beings that scare the adults so bad they send them to camps for "rehabilitation", which of course is nothing more than a concentration camp that turns to genocide. There was so much depth and back story, it was beautifully done, in some post apocalyptic of government torture tales it feels to me like some stuff gets left out or assumed but Bracken found a way to include everything I was wondering about and even more.
*Spoilers Ahead*
This book was full of love able characters and of course the not so love able, but all had a critical role to play in the story and also in why I loved it so much. Ruby started out as a weak young girl carted off to camp, she stayed very quiet and at first I may have thought she was a bit cowardly but she definitely came into her own and became a smart kick ass heroine over the course of her journey from the leguge and back again, and my only issue was her small slip up when she trusted the slip kid too quickly for my liking, I loved how the power she feared so much was the thing that saved them all once she decided to embrace it and then learn more about it. The trio she meets on the road after her escape, Liam, Chubs, and cute little Zu were so complex and well developed I felt like they were my friends, and I wanted to spend more time with them. I was very pleased to see Chubs come around I knew there was a soft center under his prickly exterior. Zu melted my heart instantly and when she left east river I was very sad, but I am also very interested to see if she will pop up in the next books and I am really hoping she will. Liam oh Liam he had climbed to the top of my book boyfriend list, from the moment Ruby met him I was smitten, he is determined, kind, and so full of hope it's contagious and although it is often false hope he shows it for the others which makes it all that much sweeter, but I was NOT happy with Ruby for making him forget, it was bad enough when I thought she did it accidentally but when she did it on purpose and I was so shocked and angry I even angry cried a bit, but I am holding out hope that their connection will be strong enough and he will come back to her.
I had kinda guessed who the slip kid was, but him being an Orange and not just an Orange but a phyco Orange like Martin was a little unexpected, what a terrible creep he is and I hope he gets whats coming to him...What a giant bag of dicks he is!

I can not wait for books 2 and 3 I am so so so so excited to see what will happen next...gotta get my hands of them very soon!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment