Stephanie's books

Clockwork Angel
Eragon
City of Bones
Twilight
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Golden Compass
Night World, No. 2
Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever
Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn
The Iron Daughter
The Iron King
Nightshade
Divergent
A Discovery of Witches
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Hunger Games
The Host
City of Glass
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Stephanie's favorite books »

Thursday 8 May 2014

Review- Slayers (Slayers 1)


Title: Slayers
Author: C.J. Hill
Series: Slayers book 1
Rating: 3.5/5

Summary
Dragons exist. They’re ferocious. And, in this novel from C. J. Hill, they’re smart: before they were killed off by slayer-knights, they rendered a select group of eggs dormant so their offspring would survive. Only a handful of people know about this, let alone believe it—these “Slayers” are descended from the original knights and are now a diverse group of teens that includes Tori, a smart but spoiled senator’s daughter who didn’t sign up to save the world.
The dragon eggs have fallen into the wrong hands. The Slayers must work together to stop the eggs from hatching. They will fight; they will fall in love. But will they survive?


My Review
I had very high hopes for this book, I love Dragons good or bad and I have fallen in love with many Dragon tales or books containing Dragons, Eragon being my favorite, and so when I saw this one I was very eager to see what it had in store, well I was a little disappointed and that is not to say that I did not enjoy this book overall because I did, but I think I had hyped it up way to much in my mind and it did not deliver on that hype. First of all the plot to this story was well done and I love the part of the book describing the Dragon traits and how the Slayers play their part, I liked the originality of this idea and it certainly kept me reading. I also really liked that most of it was told from Tori's point of view but there were also a few other POV's were present, best of all Brant Overdrake, I always love getting some inside info on the bad guy lol. Now a few things that I did not like, Tori was my biggest pet peeve of this book, I felt like she was constantly saying she was not some spoiled rich kid, but her actions and a lot of her thoughts just proved to me that she was, I was very annoyed with her, now I guess she did have a little bit of growth but I still just could not connect with her, she seemed like one of those girls I would be civil to but we would never be friends. Jesse who I guess was part of the love triangle was very very flat to me, it was like reading about a talking bird (he could fly and he was emotionless). Dirk was the other part of the love triangle and he was a bit better for me, I found he had a bit more layers and of course his big secret made things that much more interesting. So as you can tell the characters were a big issue for me, I just could not feel for ANY of these people and I really need that when I am reading. My next issue is that all of this happens in three days, I am sure that things could happen that quickly but I would have really liked time to get to know about Tori's Slayer abilities and maybe I would have been more connected knowing a bit more about each character over a bit of time.
Despite my few issues I did enjoy the book and I would like to read the next book and see if there is more Dragon action, not as much was in this one, I have also become curious about a few things so yes I will continue this series and yes people should give it a go and see what they think.

No comments:

Post a Comment