Stephanie's books

Clockwork Angel
Eragon
City of Bones
Twilight
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Golden Compass
Night World, No. 2
Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever
Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn
The Iron Daughter
The Iron King
Nightshade
Divergent
A Discovery of Witches
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Hunger Games
The Host
City of Glass
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Stephanie's favorite books »

Thursday 28 August 2014

Review- The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave #1)





Title: The 5th Wave
Author: Rick Yancey
Series: The 5th Wave book 1
Rating: 4/5





Summary
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

My Review
I am struggling a lot with this review, because although I gave the book 4 stars I still don't know if I liked it enough for 4 stars. I had the book recommended to me by a few people and when I looked it up I noticed many people raving about it or very excited to read it and that always worries me I have been fooled by hype before and I may have been fooled again with this one but I am still unsure, so I'm going to try to give this book a review that makes more sense than my feelings about it.
The way in which the "others" attack  and the reveal of the 5th wave were very unsettling but in a good way I guess, I did enjoy how clever that was and to pray on the trust of humans was smart and down right dirty. Call me crazy but I wanted a slimy alien or scaly or something because an invisible enemy is so much more scary and unsettling.
I liked Cassie she was determined and smart and she followed her instincts well until Evan came along and that whole thing was okay but I think it was a little part of the reason I did not fall in love with this book, but most of all I loved how she was ready to die to keep her promise to her brother.
I thought the book was well written but there were a few parts that felt like they dragged on for too long and I put the book down on several occasions when I got bored and I even finished two books before I finished this one.
I really don't have more to say about this book except don't always believe what you hear read something because you want to and hope that it turns out well. Overall this was pretty good and I may read the next ones.....only time will tell :)

No comments:

Post a Comment